Gabriëlskloof Cabernet Franc 2018
Availability: 92 in stock
The fruit comes from a single vineyard, mountainside site on the Gabriëlskloof property. The soil is a combination of Overberg Shale and Table Mountain Sandstone, with this complexity transferred into the wine through a lovely mix of fruit and spice. The vineyard is 16 years old, and this maturity shows in the depth and character of the wine.
The fruit was hand-picked into small crates and transferred directly into a cold room where it remained overnight. 80% of the crop was destemmed with the remaining 20% left as whole clusters. The wine was fermented wild and aged in 500L barrels for 18 months, with 30% new French Oak used.
Lighter and fresher than previous vintages with cranberry, blueberry and ripe cherry on the nose combining with savoury, fresh herbal notes. The palate is tightly wound and fresh and will develop beautifully over the next ten years and more.
Gabriëlskloof Estate Vineyards is the achievement of close collaboration between South African Bernhard Heyns and Local farmer Barry Anderson. The vineyards are located in Botrivier, on the Western Cape. The majority of grapes planted are red Bordeaux and Rhône varieties, perfectly suited to the local climate.
The Gabriëlskloof team (currently led by Peter-Allan Finlayson of Crystallum fame) is committed to a sustainable viticulture by keeping use of insecticides, weed killers and fertiliser to a minimum. They’re part of WWF Conservation Champion farm under a voluntary membership model which support their wine practice with a land and water stewardship programme. Gabriëlskloof aim to grow vines in harmony with nature to protect the natural habitats of the area and the biodiversity that lives there.
For more information on Gabriëlskloof and their wines, visit their website.
The small, picturesque village of Bot River lies in the foothills of the Houw Hoek Mountains, en route to Hermanus. The Bot River, after which the hamlet is named, meanders its way through a fertile valley surrounded by mountains covered in fynbos, historical wine farms and fields of wheat.
In the rolling hills of the Bot River area, down-to-earth, sociable farmers make wines for lovers of the road less travelled. Here you can taste wines made from the oldest vines in the region, as well as more recent varietals from new plantings.
From historic and traditional wineries to the most modern state-of-the-art cellars, the common denominators are a warm welcome, handcrafted wines, a commitment to biodiversity and the desire to share hours of sociable sipping.